Writing/ Indian Dishes

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I have had the hardest time writing a blog lately. Most of my blogs are written about humor but what do you write about when you are not feeling so funny? In fact, more frustrated than funny. Sorry for the delay in writing, I'm sure I'll think of funny things to write about, I've experienced a few lately but I'm just not in the mood. So instead I will write about something I am very passionate about. Food!

This is a fabulous Indian food recipe that I made Jarom for Valentine's Day. Tikka Masala is our absolute favorite indian dish, along with hot chewy naan bread. When we found this recipe with a little tweaking it was exactly like the restaurant we use to visit at BYU and we were so excited it turned out the same. Please excuse the bad photography skills, the pictures look like a cheap restaurant, but since that was what I was attempting to do, it almost works. Almost.

Chicken Tikka Masala

1 cup yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
4 long skewers

2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
4 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons tikka masala spice mix
½ teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro


In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Preheat a grill for high heat or an oven to 450 degrees.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side. Or put chicken on skewers propped over a casserole dish in a 450 degree oven.

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapenos for 1 minute. Season with 4 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and ½ tsp salt. Stir in tomato sauce, cream and cilantro. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.




Naan

1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
¼ cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
½ tsp baking soda
3- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
¼ cup butter, melted

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, with one tbsp. of the sugar. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy.

Stir in remaining sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth.

Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.

Punch down dough. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.

At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill or skillet. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned.

Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

Yum! I will have to try this. And I will send you Adam's thai green curry recipe. I know you would LOVE it! I also have a really yummy indiam dish you might like.

I like this cooking direction your blog may take. You have always had a knack for cooking. I want to see more recipes!!!

Colleen said...

I will try this, Holly. I like this new direction, too. I've always loved your cooking.

Spring said...

Mmmh, that looks really good. I'm going to try it out. Hopefully I don't mess it up!

kiera said...

fancy dish! i love the naan bread at trader joes (in the frozen section)...you just pop it in the oven for a couple mins and throw some butter on it. now i'm hungry, thanks.

Tasha said...

Mmmmmm! That looks delicious! Seriously. Way to go and making it just like the place you liked a BYU. So impressed. I think I want to try it too. I love getting recipes off people's blogs. Then you know they are well liked things too. This is making me hungry and it is only 8:30am!

Carly said...

Holy Hannah, is there anythign you don't do? Authentic Indian food. Well, I'm going to admit this is WAY out of my scope. I don't even dream of making things like this. Maybe someday when I am "settled" (also known as married) and have to cook all the time (meaning: I don't have to cook now--who really cooks for one person??) and have built up some more experience I will start dreaming about this. In the meantime I will salivate over your blog while eating kettle corn :).

sarawhat said...

My mouth is watering right now...

Kristine Tanner said...

Wow, Holly! You are quite the cook! I honestly don't have the patience for cooking. Poor, poor Brent.