Dear Journal,

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

So it's been a while since I've written or publicly embarrassed myself so I figured it was time for a blog. I've told quite a few people about how I was extremely, shall we say, awkward as a child but few people believe me to the extent I try to prove it. I finally found a picture that should do some justice to my explanation that I was a cross between Charlie Brown and Uncle Fester. But not only did I look awkward but I said awkward things too. So here is a cringe worthy picture and JOURNAL entry that I actually turned in to my teacher!!



"Dear Journal,
A new world opened up to me when I noticed I was changing in shape and changing attitudes. I used to not mind when people said some things about me, now I feel terrible. Also I have started new things having to do with my body. My self-esteem has lowered because of things said that were meant as jokes but carried on too long. Also when people talk behind my back.

Yours truly,
Holly"

This journal begs a two questions. First, how did my mom not get a call from this poor english teacher that had to read about me changing in body and attitude? Weird. Second, the new things starting with my body at 11 could only have been that I was beginning to change from cute child to the fat red headed kid on the sandlot, prompting dozens of acquaintances across the United States to ask how a girl got on that movie with the cast of all boys.

Anyhow, when I found this I had to laugh and share it. Now all you people who didn't know me as a kid and didn't believe me when I said I looked like uncle fester can finally put your minds at rest that I was telling the truth. Thank goodness for aging and growing out of youth.

p.s.- the worse part is that that picture actually made it into my wedding video. Ahh! It's lucky that I was being distracted in the other room so I didn't notice it and go Bridezilla with my bloody eye.

8 comments :

Anonymous said...

I seriously think we should start a blog where every day we post embarrassing things we wrote in our journals. I always like revisiting old journals to see how little I have actually changed.

And I got told all the time when I was in junior high that I am the spitting image of Dana Carvey. Nice.

Megan said...

Holly, you were one tough little girl too. I still remember the heel kicks you used to give me on the couch when we fought over the controller. Nasty! Anyway, we changed differently. You got prettier as you got older. I just get wierder and wierder looking as I age!

Megan said...

Oh Holly... you are so brave to share the truth with us. I'm perfectly content to keep my awkward years all to myself. You're my hero.

Tasha said...

Holly I think I was much too awkward from about age about 10 or 11 to ummm, I have I left an awkward stage yet? No, I too had a tuff time from about 5-6th grade until somewhere in High School and then I had plenty of tuff moments still. I just wasn't quite so chunky. You are such an amazing person. I too think you are beyond awesome for always sharing your WHOLE life with all of us. You are going to strengthen many people in your life time. And you know what . . . you have seriously been one of my heros from the time I met you. I have never thought you awkward. Just the wonderful and amazing Holly Tanner.

JonandLo said...

One of these days I will post a picture of my awkward pre-teen days and it will put yours to shame! I think I was too embarrassed to even write in my journal about it though..hehe. I didn't even want myself to hear about my horrible self image.

Devon and Alicia said...

Whenever I need a good laugh I know I can always turn to your blog. This was fantastic! I would love to read the rest of your journal. Thanks for letting me have a good laugh at your expense.

Whitney said...

Oh Holly! I just adore you! I hope you know that when we were little I really wished I could be like you, I wanted to be able to sing like you, and write crazy stories about Pluto like you, and I wanted to have a sense of humor and have people love me the way they loved you. I really wished you would end up marrying Ryan so that you could be my "sister." I never once looked at you as awkward, but you were always just my dear friend Holly and I am thankful for those years.

Kelly said...

We could have been twins my friend, we could have been twins. I turned ten and BAM! I morphed into Uncle Fester meets Wednesday.