A Rose by any other name would still smell as sweet, except that's not your name, is it?

Monday, January 5, 2009

I have never been one who silently swallows stupid mistakes I've made, or ridiculous comments I've said for that matter. There is something about me that demands full disclosure, I enjoy laughing at myself. I don't mind admitting that a smart girl like me can spout out the kind of comments that make Rose Nylan look downright brainy. But every once in a while one comes out that I wish to goodness I'd stifled down, because they always happen around people who don't know me, whose first impression of me will forever be the girl "who said what??"

A few weeks ago before everything went to pot, before the rain really started to pour, the first event of many financial blunders directed this very frustrated girl to the Apple store to pick up a new power adapter cord for her Macbook. I had talked to 3 different people on the phone at Mac and finally I had found someone who pitied me and agreed to send me the insanely expensive 80 dollar cord that had sheered itself in two, in a mysterious manner, for free. The only problem was that I needed the cord that day, not in a few days like the man on the phone promised me.

In desperation I called the closest Mac store in Victoria Gardens explaining my predicament, and how my computer was dead and I needed to charge it and asking the girl if she would just give me one if I canceled the one in the mail. She said that would work and I could come in and pick it up. Elated I asked my mom-in-law Kim if she wanted to come with me. From there things went, well, a little south.

By the time we got to the Mac Store I was feeling that rush of freebie high. I would even go so far as to say I was hopped up on freeomones (the Pheromones coursing through your veins when you are about to get a rocking deal or you won something for free). Either way the conversation I had with the girl who was helping me was weird (like the conversations you got sucked into by the weird guy in the drama class who gave you the play by play of last nights episode of Star Trek, imitations and all kind of weird) but I couldn't seem to help myself, even as it was going on I was screaming "stop you look like a weirdo, stop talking" in my head. I was just too relieved/excited.

Me: "Oh my gosh, you are totally saving me!" (This said in a weird gushing sort of way) "I love Mac! Mac is the best! I tell everyone to buy Mac! Seriously, I've converted quit a few people now!"

Girl: (She's looking at me, trying to be hospitable and listen, but I can see written plainly across her face that a super hyper girl like me is probably not the publicity they are looking for. You see, macs are for cool people, artsy people, thinkers, not strung out speed addicts or at least people who act like them for no good reason) "I'm glad I can help." Is the standard answer she gave.

Me: "Seriously, PC is crap, it's Mac or bust man!" I say pumping my fist. (In my mind I am thinking, seriously? Who snuck the crack in my slimfast. Why am I talking this way, this is definitely not normal.)

Girl: "Yeah, we sure like our products here too." She said in the way someone talks to a homeless person who is getting riled up when you're afraid they're going to beat you up and steal your wallet. Nice and easy. "Ok," She said pointing to another associate, " Jill will help ring you up as soon as she's done with her customer." I can tell she is relieved to be getting away, which makes me feel awkward because I have no idea why I'm being so erratic myself. This is totally embarrassing.

"Me: "Thank you so much!" I practically shout. "Seriously, I am very grateful." Ok, yes! Finally a comment that doesn't induce an uncomfortable silence in which I speak more to fill the void- even if the thank you was a touch overly animated.

Her: (Obviously this has given her courage to give me her card in case I need further assistance. A bold move because I'm sure she thinks I'm nuts.) "No problem!" She says, handing me her card. "My name and number is on there in case you need anything else." In an effort to say something that would improve her opinion of me as a cool semi-intelligent person I proceed to give her a compliment on her beautiful name. Well it would have been a compliment. If I'd gotten the right name. In a flustered moment I proceeded to say hands down one of the dumbest comments of my life.

Me: "Victoria? What a beautiful name!" Gardens? Wow, seriously, that is so beautiful, Victoria Gardens..." As soon as it pops out of my mouth I know that I had made a blunder. Why can't I be like most people who say thank you and pocket the card, instead I have to read it out to her, as though she doesn't know her own name, or I might be overlooking a receipt for errors.
Her eyes narrow as she peers at me. I'm sure she is thinking, is this girl for real? And then, in the same breath if I'm not awkward enough, I finish lamely, "Oh, no, you're name isn't Victoria Gardens, haha, that's where we are huh? You're name is Mary Howard (or something). Wow, I swear I'm not stupid! (Yes, that gem also snuck out of my mouth).

Her: "Oh, no worries! Thanks for coming in." She said ushering me to the register, where I proceed to say more dumb things to yet another Mac employee before I grab Kim (who is still laughing at my ridiculous comments) and make a run for it.

Honestly? Who slipped the crack into my morning slimfast? Or has anyone else been hyper off freeomones?

It's still a mystery. But I don't plan on going back there for a while, as least until the "do not help this girl" poster has been removed from their break room.

12 comments :

Mindy said...

Oh my gosh Holly. Hilarious. That really gave me a good laugh. I can't wait to hang out with you more often!

Perley Family said...

LOL! That is so hilarious. I have done so many things like that! I still think you're cool! I needed a good laugh this morning, so thank you.

JonandLo said...

That is sooo funny! It totally reminds me of a time my best friend and i were in Moab looking for a particular arch. we had our little map with pictures out and were asking people if they heard of the arch or new where it was. After like an hour of no success, we finally realized the name of the arch we had been asking for was actually the photographer of that arches's name. NICE ONE!! Derrr. Anyways, great story!

Unknown said...

Holly you crack me up. You are definately the best story teller.

Loved it!

Megan said...

Holly! I just love you! Thanks for making me laugh.

Colleen said...

You've got me laughting because it's so true and you tell it so humorously. I've done it and all the time your brain is screaming "cut it, cut it!!!" and your mouth just motors right on. Very funny story.

Linds and Thad said...

That is hilarious. I was laughing really hard as I read it because that is me like, every day with everyone I talk to.

Beck said...

Meg told me I had to read your latest post...actually she is always telling me that :) She loves you!

That is a great story though. But honestly just imagine she probably wishes her name was Victoria Gardens. Thats way cooler than Mary whatever. She's the one who should feel stupid. haha!

Plus you are still the best singer I have ever heard so you can say whatever the freak you want and still be cooler than MARY!

Stacey said...

Holly I love you, your story just made my day. You crack me up!

Anupa Harvey said...

I think everyone has done something equally embarrassing , if not more, in their life times. Don't worry about it! On the bright side, I've been laughing out loud the whole time! thanks! :)

biztanner said...

Holly I love you! I totally do the same things, and of course feel stupid afterward. You make it okay to A)have a moment of weird-o-ness and B) feel like an idiot afterward. What would I do without you? Mwah!

Katherine said...

Oh my gosh. I love your blog. You always have me rolling. I have been in this exact spot many, many times. You and I are kindred spirits, Holly!