Unauthentic Baby Blues..

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

We have all seen commercials or movies where someone is unwittingly asked if they are pregnant when they are not. The initial responses from the audience are cries of disbelief or the covering of the mouth. "Oh no you didn't!" someone shouts. How can someone be so tactless, we ask ourselves? Certainly I would never do that, or no one I know has had that happen, we cry reassuringly. If the person is dressed in baggy clothes, or somewhat frumpy with a little extra junk in Le Old Trunk then we give allowances for the misunderstanding. However, what if you are dressed to the nines, wearing high heels, makeup, and a slimming black dress? Then what?

Saturday night Jarom and I decided we would attend the stake dinner/dance in honor of St. Valentines day. I dolled up. For once I shaved my legs, donned my favorite black dress from Banana Republic that screams "yes, I can look good once in a while!", I applied makeup in all the right places, and traded in my flip-flops for a pair of black sling back 4 inch heels. All at the same time.

And I was feelin' good.

That night Jarom and I learned a few waltz steps from an instructor and attempted to waltz around the cultural hall with stuffy affected looks on our faces until we broke down into giggles. After we got a little better, Jarom upped the pace and eventually I was being dragged around, literally, my feet sliding along the floor, my body limp from laughing, as a table of older couples laughed approvingly at us. It was perfect and all was right with the world. Until about 9:30 when we decided to drive to Walmart to buy a few things for sunday. All "good" things happen at Walmart it seems.

After 2 plus hours of dancing, standing and walking in my heels, naturally my feet hurt. I had followed Jarom around Walmart, gotten bored and decided to check out the food section to see what they had in their limited resources. It's really rather ironic that the most shocking moment of my life should happen there in the food aisle. And happen there it did.

"You look like your feet hurt." A woman said knowingly as she observed me holding onto a shelf for support.
"yeah." I answered, "I'm not used to wearing heels." I wondered what gave me away- the grimace of pain or the way my ankles bent every time I took a step. Ok, honestly not sexy, but the next line was unexpected.
"Oh, and you're pregn---" she stopped mid-sentence as she realized that I was not in fact pregnant, just fat in the stomach.

Her eyes shifted up to mine.

In that exact moment Walmart went completely silent, in the distance a cash register whirred. Passing customers dove behind carts of gatorade and rows of half priced Valentine's Candy, eyes peaking over in fear. Suddenly the loudspeaker blared the theme song from "The Good, the Bad and The Ugly." A faint breeze that smelled of gun powder ruffled my hair and my eyes squinted. I dared her to finish, to give me the chance to bunt kick the box of lucky charms I was holding at her head.
"Go ahead," I said menacingly, "Make my day..."

But instead it went like this:

"Oh, and you're preg-nevermind." She squirmed to a finish.
"Well what in the heck was preg-nevermind?" I wondered silently. I small village in Germany, a new word for fabulous, or flabulous?
"Have a good night." she said lamely and wandered away.

I, however, was left wondering what just happened. Did I really look pregnant? How come nobody told me that the spare tire I was sporting that evening was so passe? Next I suppose someone will tell me that love handles and cellulite are not exactly bragging rights at a party. I wanted to shout out at her, "I've had a hard year! I've been taking 18 credits a semester and not sleeping. Did you know stress and sleep deficiency lead to stomach fat??!"

Slowly I placed the lucky charms back on the shelf. And trudged over to Jarom in defeat.
"What's wrong?" He asked, instantly picking up on my bad vibe.
"We're having a baby." I mutter.
"What are you talking about?" He asks.
"Just ask that lady in the black." I answer bothered. "She can tell you everything."

I guess the baby blues can happen to non-mothers too.

14 comments :

Anonymous said...

yeah, I had a lady ask me when my baby was due, while I was holding an infant Olivia. I looked her straight in the eye and told her, "You mean, this baby I'm holding in my arms?" She was mortified, and I was ticked. A week later a lady at church that spoke no english touched my stomach and said, "bebe?" Not fun to hear.

Angee said...

O.k. Holly- That black dress if it is the beautiful one I saw a couple of weeks ago, is an empire waist. Which is very confusing to the older generation crowd. You did not look pregnant in it to me.

Carly said...

To my favorite Holly Tanner:

That lady was crazy. She didn't know what she was talking about. Every single picture you have posted of yourself on this blog in the last six months (sad--I haven't actually seen you in ages! Do you remember when we ran into each other in the basement of the new Humanities Building? Happy thought!) does not show any SHRED of you possibly looking pregnant. Don't worry about it for a SECOND. She was probably just associating hurting feet with pregnancy because the two may go together in other instances. Don't give her a second thought.

All my lovin'

Carly

Katherine said...

You are so SO hilarious! I love you and I love the way you write. And some people are crazy! When I was about twenty years old, we were on a family trip in San Diego and some crazy lady in McDonald's asked me if I was Julia and RIchard's mother!!! I told her no, with attitude, and she said, "Oh, well it must be all that makeup you wear." Grrr... I was angry!

Kelly said...

LMAO! Truly rich, I love that you noted the sound of "The Ecstasy Of Gold"/"The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" theme. I hear that all the time in my head, and smell the gunsmoke too:).

You are far from looking pregnant! Everytime I am out with my sister and her kids, people think they are mine since I have the 50 year old mommy tummy and Stacy is a stick insect. Rest assured it can't be as bad as that!

Megan said...

Holly, this is Scott. That lady is crazy!! There are a lot of stupid people out there. I once had a lady tell me that I reminded her of a young man in her ward WHO WAS ANOREXIC!! Another person once told me I reminded him of an NBA player named Kevin Garnett (look him up!). Anyway, your beautiful. I think that every time I see you.

Colleen said...

Oh, for goodness sakes. I just saw you a week or so ago and you looked fabulous in that very dress. That woman was probably as blind as a bat and she knew she'd made a big mistake the second she opened her mouth because you obviously don't look pregnant. Some people talk without thinking. Forget about it, slim.

Heather said...

Holly! You totally crack me up. When I was in college I was shopping with Shell and one of her guy friends saw as at the grocery store and asked if I was pregnant and um, yeah I was 20 and UNMARRIED! That made me feel good for ther rest of the day:) And I have seen you lots lately and you look like a babe, I don't know where you get this idea that you have any middle fat at all!!! You look great!! love you:)

Jillyboo said...

O'cute Holls.
This story is just one of the millions of examples of people who are just so unobservant and who speak without thinking. We all know how little you are and how clearly not-pregnant you look. However you have a great story-telling ability and I love to read what you have to say. And I love what you said to Jerom afterwards... so whitty.
PS How sweet is Scotty? I loved what he had to say to you. He is such a sweet brother.

Kim said...

haha, Holly this is Kim Sucher! How are you?!?! I miss you! That story cracked me up! A similar thing happened to me except it was at my sister-in-laws wedding and I thought I had bought the CUTEST dress ever (empire waist) I even showed it to her and my mother in law and grandma in law and they said they liked it. ANYWAY, that night at her reception apparently quite a few people asked Jeff if I was pregnant...then he told me! BLAH, the bad thing was that everyone that was there was family. Needless to say....I haven't worn that dress since...stupid people should just keep there thoughts to themselves...if I am ever pregnant again you bet I would tell you. :)

Tasha said...

You are beautiful! You cannot even think for a second that you are not. And I am positive you are DO NOT look pregnant. The lady knew it the second she had started too. I think the best thing about this post (besides the fact that it is writen so well and I LOVE reading everything you write) is that you now know the truth from all of us that love you.

Unknown said...

I've never signed onto a blog before but I just had to. I was once asked how far along I was. Since I wasn't pregnant but had heard that question before I thought up a new answer. I told her that I was due in two weeks. She couldn't get over how good I looked!!!! It was great. I still laugh!!

Spring said...

So, I read this story a while ago and I have been thinking about it for a while simply because I can't imagine you ever looking pregnant even when you will be pregnant. Your beautiful!

Kim said...

Hey Holly this is Kim your old roommate. That story is totally how i feel right now. I am not pregnant but i have gained a little plumpness in my stomach region. I totally feel like a pregnant woman. You are so skinny how could someone think you are pregnant.