Phone Envy

Wednesday, August 13, 2008


After 5 years I just discovered that Jarom and I get each other. A lot. It's to the point where I will pick up my phone to call him and as soon as I find it in my purse it starts ringing. And guess who it is? Jarom.

We think of the same obscure references. We are almost to the level of my best friend Mischa and I when we only had to utter a single word and we would work anyone who challenged us to a game of "Taboo." We laugh at the same jokes, make the same faces, use the same lingo.

It's even gotten to the point that I can recognize what will bother him most in a moment of tragedy.

Today we got our new EnV2 phones. I was stoked. My phone does not resemble the cool phones that people are sporting. My phone looks like a flip house phone. It's large, boxy, has an antenna, and is most definitely not sexy. I'm not positive but on the back it seems there are primitive hieroglyphics of men hunting animals... Or maybe they are just scratches from my keys.

My phone has a crappy battery, no spring to hold it open and as such clicks like an Erector Set in motion when I close it, and it takes bad pictures.

I'll be honest I've been waiting for my new free phone for a long time, in fact the whole 2 years since I got my last phone. And today, after haggling with the Verizon lady on the phone, it came. Both Jarom's and mine. Matching his and her's Black EnV2s. Gorgeous. Dreamy. And confusingly alike.

We were both so excited that he patiently waited for me to return from a business trip to open the box. As we sat on the bed Jarom ceremoniously handed me the box and chivalrously suggested I open it.

"Really?" I breathed. "You wanna help me?"
"No." He answered tenderly. "You do it."

After opening the package Jarom and I each took a box and began riffling through the contents. This is where Jarom and I are different. I immediately ripped off all the protective stickers on my phone while Jarom pointedly kept his on. He believes an electronic should be protected as long as possible. We've talked about this a few times, and always new appliances sport lovely plastic screens for a few months until they bubble and peel and I beg to be able to remove them. So there was no way I was going to keep mine on, this was MY phone. Or was it?

Over the course of a day I learned something. Though 2 phones look the same they are actually different. Each is programed according to the number it's supposed to support. So needless to say, after transferring all my contacts onto Jarom's phone (all 75 of them), turning off my old phone and realizing that my new phone won't activate, I discovered that I was in fact holding Jarom's phone, the phone that I had stripped of all protective barriers. Crude.

I dialed him up commenting to my mom-in-law Kim that he would be bummed I'd taken the stickers off. "Jarom," I explained gingerly. "I couldn't activate my phone because we pulled a parent trap. I have your phone and you have my phone.

I kid you not, Jarom's first word were, "But, you took off my stickers!"

Who says I don't know my man?

12 comments :

Sarah said...

What a funny story! So, the question is, did you leave the stickers on your phone once you got it back from Jarom? Sorry about the miscommunication for dinner last week...I miss you...let's plan something ASAP!

Colleen said...

You do know your man. Very funny story. Couldn't you just keep Jarom's phone and he keep yours??

Megan said...

Haha! Yeah, can't you just switch numbers? Scott and I do the exact same thing with picking up our phones to call eachother at the SAME time. Its freaky. There must be some amount of telepathy in the Tanner blood.

Devon and Alicia said...

Devon and I always end up wearing the same color of clothing and don't notice it until someone points it out to us. Just last Sunday a lady said to us "that is so cute how your tie matches her shirt." We looked at each other and sure enough we did match. So everyone at church probably thought we planned it out. We do this all of the time, weird huh? I find the stickers pointless too, Jarom sounds like Devon. You are so funny! Salem days wasn't the same with out you guys. We miss you like crazy!

Janelle said...

i love it! im tellin' ya', Holly, I don't know you all that well- but from your blog, I know you two are perfect for each other!

DavidyAshley Bowen said...

haha! I love it! and it must be a moore thing, because I still have my sticker on the inside of my phone, and I got it in December. even if the plastic-y film bubbles up a little , I try my best to fix it. something insde me just WONT let me take off that sticker.. . .

jbiz said...

the stickers! THE STICKERS!!!

Holly and Ryan said...

You tell such a great story. You two are sooo cute together.

Tasha said...

YOu definatly do know him and I loved hearing that story!! I am so happy you have found someone that you do know so well and he knows you so well too. That is a pretty funny story too. :) Poor guy. Couldn't you see if they would transfer the numbers on the phones?

Robyn said...

Haha, yeah I hate those stickers, but I've learned that my stuff gets so beat up I'm doing myself a favor if I leave it one. We missed you sunday! hope you're feeling better :) Lets hang out soon, with our husbands.

Unknown said...

LOL. That is such a classic husband and wife story.

Maybe there is some way you can reattach the stickers back on. Smile!

To Funny!!!

Kylie said...

Ha Ha Ha! That is hilarious, but totally something I would do!