Hand Slam

Sunday, April 20, 2008


(I was complaining to Jarom about my back hurting the other night and I told him how it originated (which he thought very funny). I was having a hard time capturing the real humor in it. Anyhow, this about sums it up.)

I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I signed up for the gymnastics class at BYU my freshman year. Perhaps I thought that I would sail gracefully from bar to bar, landing a triple flip mount into a pit of foam bits while my classmates "ooo'd and awed" at my incredible learning curve. Perhaps I figured that when BYU said Beginning Gymnastics they would begin us with somersaults and cartwheels like a proper Beginners class would offer at The Little Gym. I must have been on crack, or seriously delusional because I have never been particularly gifted with balance, especially since my body is all arms and legs and no muscle.

Anyhow, seven years ago I got the urge to sign up for a Gymnastics class, and I took one. For one day.

And I was defeated.

That morning I carefully selected a pair of stretchy yoga pants and a fitted tank top. I was excited to learn how to do some cool tricks, learn how to do a flip on the bars (in time), and get in some spotting with my teacher. What I got instead was a intermediate class for girls who had done more than ribbon dancing and cartwheels in their front yards as kids.

We began with some stretches, which was exciting because I was good at this. From there we moved into a brand new world of body contortions that I was neither prepared for nor expecting. But, I was also proud and didn't want to admit that I didn't have the strength or training to do these seeing that all the other girls were nodding enthusiastically. Today we were going to begin with hand stands that evolved into a forward roll! Yeay! Now if that doesn't make sense imagine standing on your hands and than maneuvering your body into the position that you do a cartwheel from that. Sounds easy right? Please.

I made my way into the back of the class, carefully watching from the back of the line how the girls were balancing themselves in perfect pencils before they gently tucked themselves into a ball. It was amazing; like watching an assembly line of people moving across the mat; art even. Before I knew it it was my turn and the teacher was giving the signal to begin.

Now I had never done a hand stand that actually made it straight up before falling back over, but somehow I tricked myself into believing that today would be different. Not only would I hand stand, but I would roll.

Taking a deep breath (which in seconds I would regret), I threw my full body weight onto my hands, flying past the hand stand stage where you gain control before maneuvering the next move. Instead of rolling into a ball I realized that I didn't know what to do and I panicked.

I looked like a cat in a desperate attempt to right myself in mid air, my body twisting in a strange tense arch. I wasn't even graceful as I slid from the hand stand into a back slam on the floor my breath rushing from my body in a loud and violent "Ha!". It was like a WWF wrestling move gone terribly wrong. While other girls rolled into a ball and jumped to their feet like a rehearsed version of the rockettes at Radio City Hall-I lay there on the ground, my eyes dilated in pain, while peoples faces passed in an out of focus as they tumbled all around me. And then my teacher uttered the words that echoed in my head for years after.

"Just go around her."

Just go around her? Honestly? As I lay dying; partially paralyzed; my pain sending waves of heat through my body; girls rolled past me, all the while my teacher calling out to them with instructions. There was no running over, no attending the to girl who hadn't breathed for at least 3 minutes, and couldn't feel her arms.

It was like a bad movie. What was worse was the fact that the girls who were "tumbling" were nearly missing me, and in a sense of self preservation I somehow mustered the ability to army crawl off the mat into the corner to regain total consciousness.

For the rest of the hour my teacher instructed the class, offering suggestions to the star pupils while I lay perfectly still in the corner. At the end of the class she left, without a word to me. And I walked home and laid in my bed wondering when my back would heal itself. Which it still hasn't totally.

So this girl went back to somersaults and cartwheels and ribbon dancer. And I'll leave the real gymnastics to the pros.

11 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm still laughing...

Tasha said...

Oh Holly, you really are so funny! You capture every story you tell perfectly. I have to say I was laughing all the way through until the end where the teacher doesn't even acknowledge you. That is total craziness if you ask me. I couldn't believe it. It was a funny story though. I hope your back starts feeling better!

Daniel T said...

What a terrible instructor! I say you sign up and give it another go, but this time make sure the cameras are rolling...

sarawhat said...

I was seriously laughing out loud reading this story. Sorry you are still suffering the consequences.

JonandLo said...

when we get together can you reenact that for me? maybe it will pop your back back into place =) I got your message and am a lousy cousin...I'll call you soon. have a great day and please keep posting stories!

Colleen said...

Gosh, Holly. I remember when you did that and called to tell me that your body was still tingling. Though I laughed at your hilarious discription today I'm really sorry your back is sore. Nuts!

Angee said...

LOL Your so brave. I can tumble(back handsprings and stuff) but I wouldn't dare sign up for a tumbling class at a university because I am too self conscious. But,now it all makes for a fabulous story in your future book. Dave is going to love this story. Your writing is soooooooo good.

Katherine said...

Oh Holly, you are hilarious.

Kristine Tanner said...

Holly, you crack me up! I can't believe the teacher!! How rude! You are awesome, keep ribbon dancing. Love Ya!

Danelle said...

I hope that your back heals up all the way. And that is crazy that the teacher didn't even come to see if you were okay. "Just go around her." Funny and cruel. Okay, this story is hilarious, as everyone is already telling you. Robyn pointed it out to me awhile ago, but I had yet to add your page to mine. I've been blogger-lazy for almost a year! But I want to stay in touch, so add me! Do it! :) Keep on writing, you amazing English-degree girl!

Danelle said...

Also, I took an Irish step dancing class at BYU, one of my favorite classes ever, but anyway, one day as the whole class was dancing together in unison in front of the mirrors, I did a bad heel double-click and hit the floor HARD and rolled my ankle pretty bad. And the rest of me tumbled and I smacked the floor on my side. It was very loud and embarrassing, but my teacher and some of the students came to my aid. So I guess it depends on the teacher. I have had lots of ankle problems in the past so I took really good care of it and knew what to do. Fortunately the ankle healed in a couple weeks and I was back to dancing with the class.