Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Monday, April 28, 2008


This pizza is da-bomb! I love a kick in my food and this pizza definitely had it. I cheat and buy the frozen pizza dough balls from Sam's club. You can ask for them at the food counter and they will give you a box of 20 for like 15 bucks or something. It's worth it because they make good bread sticks, pizza and calzones. You just thaw them, and shape them however you want. Anyhow, Just thought I'd post this recipe. It was definitely a winner.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Jerk Chicken Pieces

1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders 

1 teaspoon olive oil 

2 teaspoons jerk seasoning

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Caribbean Sauce

1/2 tablespoon cold water

1/2 teaspoon flour

1/2 cup sweet chili sauce

3/4 teaspoon jerk seasoning (McCormick)

For the Pizza

Pizza dough ( I cheat and boy the frozen dough balls from Sam’s Club... Hey it’s easier!)
Caribbean Sauce to taste (I like all of it)
1 cup mozzarella
 (or to taste)
½ each one red and yellow pepper
(stir fried in a pan until softened)
½ cup sliced yellow onions
(Stir fried in a pan until softened)
¼ cup crispy bacon 

Jerk Chicken
green scallions, chopped and sprinkled on top

To make Jerk Chicken:
In a bowl mix chicken, olive oil, jerk seasoning and cayenne pepper. Place mix onto a piping hot oiled (or Pam-ed) skillet and cook each side until browned and cooked through. Cut into medium sized chunks.

To make Caribbean Sauce:
Mix water and flour in the pan. Add sweet chili sauce and jerk seasoning to flour mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened a bit (about 4-5 minutes), stirring often.

To make the pizza:
Pre-cook the dough on a pizza stone (or pan) for 5-7 minutes at 425 degrees until slightly cooked and holds its form.
Use a spoon to spread the Caribbean sauce to within an inch of the outer edge of the crust.
Top with mozzarella, peppers, onions, bacon and extra mozzarella if wanted.
Lightly brush (or spread with your fingers) olive oil over the crust that’s still showing so it will brown nicely.
Cook about 15 minutes or until browned and the cheese is golden in places and bubbling.
Garnish with scallions after cooking.

This makes one good sized pizza.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oooh. sounds good. I'll have to try that out!

Colleen said...

This sounds (and looks) very good. I'll try it when we get home in a few months. I've never seen Jerk seasoning here in Brazil. Oh what I wouldn't give for a Costco down the street. How did you figure out that you can buy pizza dough from the food counter? I never would have guessed.

Megan said...

Yum! Holly- you should write a cookbook- remember when you did that cooking class for enrichment? You could put all your tips and explanations of what cooking terms mean and what all the kitchen gadgets are for... you could have a section that tells you how to select ripe fruit and veggies (then I could just buy your book and not have to call you everytime I went to the grocery store!) Seriously... you could make it funny, people like me would buy it and WANT to cook!

Angee said...

I am going to have Dave make that. It sounds heavenly.

Tasha said...

Mmmmm . . .sounds delicious! And looks good too. I love making pizzas!

Perley Family said...

YUM! I can't wait to try this out. It looks so good. I'm with Megan you should write a cookbook! I would totally buy it!
~Kris