Peppermint Marshmallows

Thursday, April 24, 2008



What's more wonderful than a big mug of hot chocolate on a cool winter (or spring!) night? I'd say about nothing, well except a hot chocolate that is over flowing with marshmallows. Marshmallows are definitely one of my favorite things. I few weeks back I watched as Paula Dean made homemade marshmallows and I knew I had to try it. Winter was over, and a warm spring was on, but for the last week we've had a bit of a cold spell and I jumped at the chance. The result was awesome. Hope you enjoy them too!

(side note: this gets your kitchen-aid mighty hot, so I wouldn't risk it unless you had a heavy duty mixer or a very strong one...)

Toasted Coconut Marshmallow (or Peppermint)

7 ounces sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
1 recipe Homemade Marshmallow batter, recipe follows
Confectioners' sugar

Sprinkle half the toasted coconut in an 8 by 12-inch nonmetal pan. Pour in the marshmallow batter and smooth the top of the mixture with damp hands. Sprinkle on the remaining toasted coconut. Allow to dry uncovered at room temperature overnight.
Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares. Roll the sides of each piece carefully in confectioners' sugar. Store uncovered at room temperature.

Homemade Marshmallows:
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and allow to sit while you make the syrup.
Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.
With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

OR:
Add peppermint extract instead of vanilla and crushed peppermint candies instead of coconut, like I did.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds SO good. I don't like marshamallows, but i am definitely making those!

Colleen said...

Ooh, the picture is beautiful, like you'd find in Martha Stewart and they look good. I'll try them. We are going into winter with no central heat so what's better than pepperment marshmallows in cocoa?

Jillyboo said...

I can not wait to try these, they look so pretty too.
When are we getting together, by the way? Are you inland? Lets set up a date with the 2 of us soon.

Kylie said...

Those look AMAZING!!! I've gotta try those!

Carly said...

Wow. Your cooking skills are seriously beyond me. I wish I could! (What I really wish is that I lived right by you and could come over and try one of yours! They seriously look amazing).