Our Little Farm

Friday, July 25, 2008

One of the most enjoyable parts of living in Riverside with Jarom's family is that they have a gigantic back yard with room for a garden. This year Kim and I planted all kinds of veggies and I thought I'd take a few pictures of the ones I'm most excited about.

It's really no wonder that countless stories take place in gardens or borrow elements of nature to convert a simple story into a masterpiece. They really are miraculous. I am constantly amazed when seemingly overnight a zucchini goes from just a fiery blossom to a squash. How does the water, sunshine, and soil make something so vital to our lives? Even knowing the science of it doesn't make it less majestic.

Our favorite stories borrow from gardens, where as children we held our breath as Peter rabbit narrowly escapes Farmer McGregor after munching in his garden all day, or dreamed of riding in a splendid carriage fashioned out of a pumpkin, it's curling tendrils providing the wheels. How many of your peeked among the flowers and wondered if a tiny girl could really emerge from the petals like Thumbelina? I know I did.

Walking along the boxes of continually changing plants I find myself in awe and I wanted to share some pictures. Oh how I love summer gardens.









9 comments :

Moore Family said...

wow, all those close ups really do make it look more amazing.

Devon and Alicia said...

You should see my garden, you would just be so jelous. I have about a hundred different kinds of weeds. You just can't imagine how hard I have worked on my weed garden.
I love fresh garden food! You are very lucky and it looks wonderful!

Mindy said...

that is in the backyard where i grew up?? wow!

Janelle said...

wow! those are great lookin' veggies! my green thumb isnt as advanced. maybe one day. my dad grows tons of stuff- very fun. the best is pumpkins!!! look into it- they are so fun to grow!

Holly and Ryan said...

Holly, your garden looks beautiful! Gardening is such a fun hobby. You definitely have the "green thumb". Yummy....you will have tons of fresh food!

Megan said...

can i come eat at your house?? When you write your cookbook, put in a garden section, a witty how to section...

Perley Family said...

Wow, I am totally impressed! What a beautiful garden.

Tasha said...

Oh, how I love gardens too. Unfortunatly we only did tomatos this year (and we have TONS), but I wish I had done other things too. Maybe I still will. We will see. But, I am loving yours!! AWESOME. You planted so many good veggies and fruit too.

Daniel T said...

Beautiful veggis! We're going to plant a little garden soon and I need to consult with you guys.