Witching Hour

Thursday, July 10, 2008




So Jarom and I have a funny relationship. He likes to shock me with random comments and I like to act shocked and make him eat his words. Usually the funniest conversations are when Jarom makes a comment about my appearance that I pretend to take in an offensive way. In these mock serious discussions he goes round the comment trying to justify what he has said, while I act offended and try to box him into a corner. By the end both of us are laughing and Jarom has humorously decided that I'm a mean wife because he was only trying to give me a compliment. (=

Recently there was one conversation that really got me laughing. In fact it was so excellent that I wrote it down word for word in my planner as he was talking and threatened Jarom with a blog. Horrified, he told me I wasn't allowed to write it because people would think he was mean, but I interpreted his laugher as permission to go ahead...

A few fridays back I was sporting a lovely constellation of acne on my face. One on my forehead, a small cluster on my cheek and a rather large one on the side of my chin. As much as I love revisiting my youth I'd much rather relive it by going to the beach and getting a Thrifty's ice cream cone, but apparently acne is a little easier to fit on the schedule.

Anyhow, after slapping on some makeup (with a useless attempt at camouflaging my visitors), pulling my wet from swimming hair into a ponytail and putting on my least rumpled clothing I was semi-decent enough for our impromptu date we'd decided to go on that night. We chose to go to a hole in the wall place for dinner and a movie and I figured that since most of the date would be in the dark he would forgive my somewhat unkept appearance. One of my favorite things about Jarom is he praises me when I look pretty and when I know I don't. He thinks I'm pretty all the time, bless him. But that night he had a funny way of telling it.

"So," Jarom said in a velvety voice a mischievous smile playing across his lips, knowing he was going to say something that would set me off and looking forward to the forthcoming banter, "That's a pretty good pimple you've got going on your chin. If you painted your face green you could do pretty well."

"What??" I asked him feigning offense, "You think I look like a witch? That's soo mean!"

"That's not mean," Jarom retorted, "Very beautiful women can play witches really well."

"Which beautiful women?" I asked tartly, "Like the wicked witch of the west? Or the old witch in snow white? Those beautiful women?"

"No," Jarom said back tracking. "Like Nicole Kidman, or Michelle Phifer. They played witches really well. I'm saying YOU could be a pretty witch..."

"Well, thank you... I think. But how do I possibly look like a witch?" I challenged him, laughing at the references to the only two possible pretty witches in silver screen history (and before anyone argues Glenda was pretty I say that she was- until I reached the age of ten and realized that under the sparkly dress and ten pounds of makeup she was not such a distant cousin in the looks department of the scary witch. In fact, the only pretty people in that whole movie are dorothy and possibly the cowardly lion after he gets the bows in his hair).

"Well," Jarom said gearing up with his explanation, "You have the right facial structure."

"How's that?" I question him.

"Well, you have a long narrow face and large eyes." He said while I chuckle at his answer. "Not to mention, you DO have a pointy nose and chin." he throws in matter of factly.

Fast forward two weeks. In an effort to maintain my failing looks I decide to give myself a mud mask, paint my toes and do a little plucking to my eyebrows. I wash my makeup off, observing how dull my skin and eyes look. I need a tan, or something on my face but I don't have the time to lay out, or the desire to develop the wrinkles and cancer all the dermatologists on "10 Years Younger" are talking about. As I slather the green mud all over my face and prepare to paint my toes I can't help but notice how pink my lips look, and how green my eyes are. What's the change, I wonder?

Suddenly it dawns on me, it's the green! Jarom was totally right, I could work it as a witch. So that's why I've posting for you a picture of me a la witch, or sea sick. You're choice. Just know, green is coming people, since we all know tans are unhealthy maybe it's time to switch to a new color. Just a thought...

19 comments :

Anonymous said...

I dare you.

Double Dog, dare you.

Holly Moore said...

Ooooh, a double dog dare. What do I get if I do? You know there are all kinds of makeup out there, maybe I will...

Sarah said...

I don't see the resemblence to a witch...more like pretty Holly with a green mask on:)

JonandLo said...

Holly, I have a long skinny face and a long pointy nose too...can I join the witch club? I sadly do not have big beautiful eyes like you do though..maybe I could be an oriental witch? Should we do halloween together?

Scott+Kimber+Ruby=Scimby said...

Hello Wicked! Elphaba is a super hot witch!

Mindy said...

Love those self-portraits!

Holly and Ryan said...

You are still so fun! Glad you are doing well.

Kim said...

ha ha! beware of the green mask. so fun!

Jillyboo said...

As always... you kill me. I love you funny girl.
Also, parents are home? You must be so happy. I really need to see them before we move next week.

Karene said...

Love it, I'd kiss that green face!

JonandLo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janelle said...

you two are so funny! i feel like i know you better from reading your blogs- and its posts like this that confirm you and jarom are perfect for each other! love it! also- i think that green eyes are THE best! if i could change something about me- i would choose witchy green eyes!

Janelle said...

OMG- i would LOVE to see you guys!!! we will be here till next summer- so theres lots of time to catch up! and im SO glad you like david sedaris!!! i first read him in The New Yorker. Which book of his is your favorite? And, YES, i can for sure do your future house!!! i would be honored! email me at jsteinberg@ymail.com and we can gush about davis sedaris and make some plans!

Holly said...

Funny story! I found your blog, and had to comment. So, how are you guys? Still in Utah? We're in Washington and liking it okay. I miss Utah! I never thought I would say that, but oh well, there it is. I hope you'll look at our blog and see how everyone's grown! Holly Chennault

Janelle said...

hi again! i just posted a book on my blog that you may be interested in reading- since you are a writer and all (its about making art). check it out!

Sarah said...

So, have I mentioned yet that I love your blog? Especially because of your writing style. Plus, you're not too bad yourself, even with a green face.

Daniel T said...

Hey witch girl, that first picture is especially great because even before I saw it, it's the image I usually have in my mind when I think of you.

Tasha said...

The funny thing is when I first saw the pictures and hadn't even read the post yet my immediate reaction was "Holly, you are one beautiful girl!" (And I meant it too.) You have such a pretty face shape. I just laughed out loud reading this. Love it and love that you have such a fun relationship with your husband!

Katherine said...

Ha ha! You're hilarious. I miss those Thrifty ice cream cones, too!