Am I the only one?

Friday, September 14, 2007


Tonight I was thinking about my eating habits. I've gained about 20 or more pounds since I went back to school, which means I gained my freshman 15+5 about 6 years too late. Whoops. Anyhow, I realized three things about myself, 1) I LOVE food and especially sugar, 2) I totally hord things I know I shouldn't be eating to eat in private, 3) I eat waaay too much. But I want to confess something about number 2 that has been cracking me up lately the more I think of it.

It happened like this. I really love Cadbury Creme Eggs. I'm not talking a little bit, but freakishly so. I think it stems from the fact that I can only have them a few months of the year so I eat one or two a day for the whole season. The day after Easter, however, I found myself staring at a display of cadbury eggs marked half price. A slighly obsessed person would have bought maybe two 4-packs and called it good. Instead I calculated. I had 6 at home, I would need about 10 boxes to last me through the year until next easter. So being sensable I bought them, carried them around all day at school and then decided I needed about ten more, making the grand total to 56 Cadbury creme eggs. Here's where the story gets hairy.

As soon as I bought them I realized that no one would understand (without thinking I was totally crazy) my passion for those eggs, even my husband Jarom. As soon as I got home I smuggled them into my room along with a plastic ziploc bag, removed them as silently from the boxes as possible, and then folded the flattened boxes inside a thick BYU plastic bag, which I then threw away- outside, in the dumpster- and hid the bag inside a tupperware under my bed. The whole time I was doing this I thought, "you are a sick person Holly Moore."

Over the next few days as I ate my eggs (mind you I was on Weight Watchers during that time too...) I would silently replace one of the six that were in the regular treat closet, hoping that Jarom wouldn't catch wise. After I had eaten about 10 in front of him he finally asked the question that I was dreading. And the conversation went something like this...

"Did you buy more of those?" Jarom asked innocently
"Oh, just a few."
"How many?"
"Just a couple." Guilt flooding my face.
"Like ten?"
"Um, a few more..."
"Twenty?"
"Um..."
"Thirty?" He's asking incredulously, even though he has no idea he has not even scratched the surface.
"Well..."
"More than fourty?"
This is where I give him what I'm sure looks like the glassy eyed smile of an addict. You know, the one that says, "Yes, I love my crack/ heroine/ cadbury creme eggs, and what are you going to do about it?" The only guilt I feel is being found out, although his being aware takes away the thrill of the whole thing now.
"Fifty," I say a bit ashamed, but laughing as I see how ridiculous it must look to him.
"Holly!" He answers and laughs as he shakes his head.

So my question is- does anyone else do this or am I totally losing it? I honestly wonder some times. A friend tells me there are things called fat tendencies, things like licking your fingers or the plate, hording food, etc... Does it count if you have already been fat? Fat tendencies seems to imply that you will become so, one day. What about every other couple of months? If anyone reads this I would love to know if I'm not the only one who has gone to some extreme measure to protect their goods.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I do this, but with clothes. Our converstions go something like this.

"Are those new flip flops?"

"Yes...?"

"How many did you buy?"

"Ummm...I don't know. A couple...?"

"so, two?"

"Or more..."

And I use the same hiding place, under the bed. The funny thing is, I'm not tricking anyone. He knows where I hide them, and he knows when something is new. It just makes me feel better for some reason!

Jillyboo said...

O'my gosh Holly, I love you so much I can hardly stand it. I was dying as I read this entry and even re-read it, outload, to my Cadbury Cream Egg loving hubbie. We were in tears almost. Then I laughed again when I read Julie's entry because before I hit "Post a Comment" I said, " I nned to tell Holly I do this too, with shopping". Only its a bit more manipulative then Julie. OK.. its flat-out dishonest.
"Is ella wearing another new dress"
"umm...no"
thats the extent. I really have gotten better though.

biddles and scootch said...

OH my gosh...I am laughing so hard! You are the best writer ever! I would totally buy the book of your life!! You are awesome! P.S...I do this with fruit rollups...just ask Julie!
LOL
Melissa